#atozchallenge: B is for Barghest, foretelling your death

Horrid, ghostly black dogs terrorize hapless victims in many stories and legends.

Most famously, Sherlock Holmes had to deal with murders seemingly carried out by such a beast in his first tale after Reichenbach Falls. While there are various interpretations of ghostly dogs and Barghests, the legends from Yorkshire and other parts of northern England tell of shapeshifting spirits that usually appear as large black dogs with fiery eyes. These beasts walk about with the sound of rattling chains, and appear near a town when a notable resident was about to die, or had recently died. If one appears upon your threshold, you or someone in your house is about to follow it to the great beyond!

Sources:

Image – Barghest – Bigger and Badder by Mejin on DeviantArt

9 comments on “#atozchallenge: B is for Barghest, foretelling your death

1. EmmlyJane says:

Interesting. Do you include these creatures in your writing?

• TCC Edwards says:

I plan to – that’s why I went with the theme. This is all my devious plan to combine participation in the blogging community with research I can use in writing!

2. Very interesting – I love this theme… I probably am susceptible to it because I love things that go bump in the night!

Looking out for more…

• TCC Edwards says:

The shadows never truly leave the closet or the space under the bed, eh? Yeah, I love darker fantasy and folklore, and this challenge is really getting my creative juices going.

• I do too… used to be a big Anne Rice fan. And yes this challenge has gotten the juices flowing. I’m trying to work on character development… your characters are definitely more fun though. Pout. Lol.

3. Liz Blocker says:

YIKES, that’s quite a painting!! I sort of love it 🙂 No black dogs for me in my life, I think! I’ll go for a brown one when I adopt… 😉

4. Devika says:

I clicked through from the Sign-Up list purely because of the blog title. 🙂 Loving your theme!

5. A. Catherine Noon says:

Wow! I don’t want to encounter THAT dog on my nightly walks with my dog. Yikes! 🙂

A. Catherine Noon visiting from the Noon and Wilder blog at http://noonandwilder.blogspot.com. We’re #1554 on the A-Z List. Happy blogging, and enjoy the challenge!

6. birgit says:

Very cool and creepy. Knowing me, I would try to give the dog a petting